ducks

Duck: Mary Catalfamo

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

My only regret about The Daily Orange is that I didn’t start writing for it sooner. I wasn’t sure of my identity as a journalist for my first year and a half of college, but I did know that writing for the SUNY-ESF beat in my sophomore year alleviated that anxiety. I didn’t spend a lot of time in-house, but I’ve long since forgotten what that anxiety was like.

I’ve tried to truly appreciate these last few weeks working in a place where such good, important work was happening all around me — right alongside the ridiculous antics of good friends hanging out. I’ll always be grateful for the experience and support I was afforded by these people I care so deeply about.

Sam: You were my first contact at The D.O. and I could not imagine a better person to introduce me to the paper. You encouraging me to do something bigger for my last SUNY-ESF beat story meant a lot to me at the time and it still does. It’s obvious how talented you are as a journalist and how far you’ll go. But what’s more impressive to me is your incredible work ethic and unflagging kindness. You’re so pleasant to be around that you even made our expulsion from a certain local food festival into a fond memory.

Sara: I hope you know what an exceptional leader you are. As News Editor, you never failed to reassure me when I needed it. Thank you for giving our news team the fun, but structured dynamic that makes me so very proud to have been a part of it. You are also a singular and lovely presence. I’m so happy that I had the chance to call you my colleague and friend.

Kennedy: You are one of the funniest and sharpest people I have ever met. I think I could listen to you talk about anything with the energy and wit you bring to every conversation. I’ve always been impressed by your news judgment and how dogged you are in your reporting. Luckily, I don’t have to say goodbye to you yet. I hope you’re excited to do C reads on my stories.

Jordan: You have the kind of focus and perseverance that results in really impressive journalism and the adoption of Jordan-isms like ‘prodo’ in everyday conversation. Our Slack messages were basically my reporting lifeline this semester, so I want to thank you for always being around and offering the most practically helpful advice. Don’t forget in your inevitable success as a journalist to relax and do things that make you happy.

Sandhya: I was so lucky to have learned the ropes of assistant copy editor with you. It’s great that you found a niche in copy because you’re so good at it and you’re going to be amazing at anything you do.

Catherine: It’s been awesome to watch you grow from SA beat writer to two-time assistant news editor and just thrive overall at The D.O. You always come up with really valuable and balanced insights, which is one of the reasons I always look forward to an opportunity to pick your brain or just talk.

Casey: It still blows my mind how well you switched from design to news. Thank you for making your humor and rotund lion a staple in the house. I could always count on you for a witty side remark and being receptive to all my graphics-related concerns.

Colleen: Thank you for thinking so digitally this semester and bringing your outgoing energy to the banality of production. I hope you’re really proud of all you’ve accomplished this semester.

Kathryn: I was so lucky to have another person at The D.O. who also bleeds Buffalove and has a similar taste in internships! Thank you for all your advice and for hosting those memorable Girls Nights with Sara.

Talia: Thank you so much for fielding all my design questions and talking ETS with me! Remember to sound your barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world!

Digital staff: I can’t thank all of you enough for your warm welcome, collaboration and patience this semester.

Mom & Dad: You gave me all the tools, love and support I needed to accomplish the things I’m proudest of — and then some. I love you both so much.