Former Carnegie Mellon University administrator appointed as Syracuse University’s CFO

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

Syracuse University on Wednesday announced the appointment of its next CFO. Former CFO Louis Marcoccia retired in June.

Amir Rahnamay-Azar has been appointed as Syracuse University’s next chief financial officer, SU Chancellor Kent Syverud announced Wednesday.

Rahnamay-Azar will direct the university’s finance and administrative functions, which includes overseeing the treasury and the university’s investments, finance and comptroller, and the budget, among other things.

Rahnamay-Azar previously served the chief financial officer at Carnegie Mellon University, a position he held for nearly three years. Prior to that, he served as the senior vice president for administration and finance at the Georgia Institute of Technology from 2010-13.

He also served a variety of other administrative roles at the University of Southern California before his time at GT.

Rahnamay-Azar’s appointment at SU will be effective Feb. 15 and is subject to approval by the university’s Board of Trustees, per the release.

“Amir is the kind of strategic thinker, pragmatic financial leader and experienced manager that Syracuse University needs as we position ourselves for significant growth and success in the coming years,” Syverud said in the release.

Rahnamay-Azar has a doctorate in higher education management from the University of Pennsylvania, as well as a master’s degree and bachelor’s degree in business administration from California State University, Sacramento.

Louis Marcoccia, SU’s previous executive vice president and chief financial officer, retired last June. Syverud and other SU administrators, faculty, staff and Board of Trustee members served on the CFO search committee.