Fast Forward Syracuse

Syracuse University hopes to build new Carrier Dome roof over old one

In renovating the Carrier Dome, Syracuse University may build the new roof over the old roof.

Syracuse University may not have to move any home football or basketball games as a result of the upcoming Carrier Dome renovations by building the new Dome roof over the current one.

In an update on the university’s infrastructure given Tuesday, SU Vice President and Chief Campus Facilities Officer Pete Sala said the university is in a “good place” when it comes to finding a plan to renovate the Dome roof, which has been the source of much debate and discussion since SU announced its intentions to renovate the campus fixture. Sala said the goal is to build the new roof over the old roof and added that Dome renovations are still “very conceptual.”

The plan for the roof and its timetable have not been publicly revealed. SU announced in May that Dome roof renovations are expected to cost about $105 million with another $100 million in other improvements.

The decision to replace the Dome roof was years in the making and intensified in the winter of 2014. In that time, the city and university formed a task force to look into an SU stadium. Those conversations died, however, and the university turned internal with the Campus Framework to look into the Dome renovations.

The Framework is a 20-year roadmap for SU’s infrastructure and is one of three parts of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Fast Forward initiative.

Sala added in his presentation that Dome renovations are three pricing projects — the roof, the interior and the exterior. He mentioned that there’s the possibility of a bump out — a glass-based addition shown in presented renderings — to the exterior of the Dome.

The update Tuesday was the first of six such presentations that will be given in the next two months. They come after summer construction updates and scrutinized communication over the University Place Promenade — the first major project of the Framework — in the spring.

The next Framework update meeting will be Saturday at 11 a.m. in the 001 auditorium in the Life Sciences Complex. Five other Framework forums will be held throughout the semester in addition to four construction information sessions.

Here are other noteworthy updates given Tuesday.

Schine Student Center

The 30-year-old Schine Student Center is set to be renovated as part of the Campus Framework. Sala said Tuesday that donor involvement is going to shape what’s next when it comes to the renovations of the student center.

The loading docks in the back of Schine will also be removed as part of the plan.

Sheraton parking garage

The renderings provided Tuesday displayed a new building where the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center parking garage currently stands. The university doesn’t know what the building will be, Sala said, but commented that the parking garage is an “eyesore.”

The university owns the Sheraton and as part of the Framework, plans to convert it into student housing to go along with the major goal of moving all student housing onto Main Campus.

“The Arch”

Updated renderings of “The Arch,” a renovated Archbold Gymnasium, were part of the presentation. The university plans to start construction on the gymnasium in December, Sala said.

Justin Mattingly | Editor in Chief

Next draft

A revised draft of the Framework will be presented to the SU community in January 2017, Sala said. That will come after a feedback phase in October-November and a review by the Campus Framework Advisory Committee in November-December.

Disclaimer: The Daily Orange leases a house on Ostrom Avenue owned by Syracuse University. As part of the long-term Campus Framework implementation, the university has proposed building student housing on Ostrom Avenue where The Daily Orange currently operates.