Original Grains brings new millennial health craze to Armory

Chris Gallardo | Contributing Photographer

Original Grains, a new restaurant in Armory Square, features healthy foods in a clean atmosphere.

The Syracuse food scene has traditionally been saturated with a mass of hearty pub and comfort foods, traditional staples of the college diet. Although wings and pizza will always have a special place in the hearts of students, more and more young people are trading in their burgers for something a little healthier.

This past week, Original Grain opened downtown in Armory Square. Co-founders Chris Bily and Eric Hinman decided to bring a shop like Original Grain to Syracuse after getting a taste of the fresh and health-conscious foods taking over California and New York City. Bily and Hinman were determined to bring that sort of lifestyle back home to Syracuse.

Located at 302 S. Salina St., the crisp Original Grain storefront stands out underneath a traditional downtown red brick building. The interior is minimalist and pleasing, with large windows that allow natural light to pour in, creating a fresh and lively atmosphere. All of the food and beverages are prepared in front of you, solidifying their freshness and demonstrating their complexities.

With an extensive menu featuring a variety of flavors, Bily and Hinman made sure to offer both gluten-free and vegan options.

One of the biggest trends to hit both the West and East coasts this summer was the poke bowl, what some might call a deconstructed sushi roll. At Original Grain, they have original poke with salmon, veggie poke with sweet potato or the Great Swell – which I highly recommend.

The Great Swell comes with ahi tuna, cucumber, radish, avocado, carrot, edamame and nori, and seasoned with cilantro, spicy sauce, sesame seeds and an out of this world sesame-ginger dressing. You can get these bowls served over a mix of grains, bamboo rice or kelp noodles.

In addition to savory dishes, Original Grain also serves a variety of sweeter options. One of these, the Purple Swag, is their take on what many of us would know as a smoothie bowl.

Packed with anti-oxidants and low in carbs, this bowl contains blackberry, blueberry, granola, chia, banana and coconut flakes blended with coconut milk and yogurt. They also provide whey protein, pea protein and maca to add into your smoothie if you are looking for an extra boost. The Purple Swag is a great option for breakfast, or if you feel like something sweet that won’t weigh you down.

They also have a variety of toasts, but the Milk & Honey stole the show for me. They served me a thick slice of raisin-walnut toast with house-made ricotta cream cheese, almonds and honey – totally decadent but not guilt-inducing. Wash it down with a smoothie or their Kick-Ass coffee mixed with ghee and coconut oil, which are healthy fats as opposed to dairy.

Hinman said their focus is not only providing the Syracuse community with healthy, whole foods, but also to make the experience speak to all the senses – to make it beautiful, satisfying and fun. Through an attractive storefront, great customer service and innovative dishes I would say they are on the fast track to achieving that goal.

Although Original Grain seems slightly alien from the traditional Syracuse eatery – which usually serves up a hearty helping of greasy bacon with every dish – they strongly believe in the power of locally made food. Their ingredients are all sourced from local purveyors, which Bily said is important because they not only want to have the freshest ingredients but they also want to keep their dollar in New York state.

Students have really become their best brand ambassadors, Hinman said. By coming down and Instagramming or Snapchatting their dishes, the word about Original Grain is spreading faster than they’d expected. Social media has been a great way to promote their business, especially since the establishment is not visible to those of us up on the Hill.

Open from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Original Grain is a great place for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Take it to-go or bring a group of friends down to sit and enjoy the awesome music, hip atmosphere and of course, amazing food.

Said Hinman: “I feel like people are definitely becoming more cognizant of what they put into their bodies … and it’s not a trend, its something that’s going to stay.”