NCAA Investigations

While you were away: A brief look at some of the key details in the NCAA’s report into Syracuse University

The NCAA released the findings of its investigation into Syracuse University during Spring Break.

The 94-page report was released on March 6, and the sanctions are in connection to an NCAA investigation that was initiated in 2007 when the university self-reported potential violations within the athletics department. No current student-athlete was involved in the investigation. SU self-reported 10 violations in the case and met with the NCAA Committee of Infractions in October 2014.

Here are five key details to know about the report, the violations and the subsequent punishments:

— SU committed a number of violations, including student-athletes receiving impermissible assistance from tutors and mentors, the university failing to comply with its own written drug policy and a lack of institutional control.

— SU men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim will be suspended for the first nine games of Atlantic Coast Conference play for the 2015–16 season. SU must also vacate all wins in which ineligible men’s basketball students played in 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2010–11 and 2011–12.

— SU self-imposed a one-year postseason ban, including the ACC tournament, the National Invitational Tournament and the NCAA Tournament in early February. The NCAA “accepted” the self-imposed ban. No further postseason bans will be put in place as a result of the investigation.

— Chancellor Kent Syverud sent out a campus-wide email following the release of the NCAA’s report and said that SU “respectfully disagrees with certain findings” of the investigation.

— The university has until March 21 to decide if it will appeal parts of the report, and Syverud said in the email that SU is considering whether it will appeal.